At HTC Field Hockey, we are committed to providing quality playing opportunities for athletes of all ages, backgrounds, and genders. We are happy to announce that we will be taking one U14 team to the National Indoor Tournament (NITs) in Lancaster, PA February 14-17th. We will be working with our U16 and U19 teams to qualify for the national tournaments by selecting two U16 teams and three U19 teams to attend the National Indoor Qualifier (NIQs) tournament held in January 2020.
Indoor field hockey is different from regular field hockey played on the turf or grass outside. Each team is comprised of 5 field-players and 1 goalie. Rules are modified for indoor play; there is no hitting of the ball or lifting, except for when shooting on goal. It is played on a hard surface like sports-court and the field size is little larger than a basketball court, surrounded by 3-5 inch boards that athletes can use as a part of the field of play. This becomes a very fast game that forces athletes to have quick stick skills, good fundamentals, and learn tactics in a very small space.
All participants must have:
- Indoor field hockey stick
- Indoor field hockey gloves (preferably both hands)
- All indoor team travel members MUST have their own Penalty Corner masks.
- Flat-soled Sneakers/Court shoes
Please contact Darren if you need any help finding the appropriate equipment.
Indoor Refresher Clinic Dec 1st, 2019!
We are excited to announce 2019 Refresher Clinic 9-11a on Sunday, Dec 1st!
This will be a perfect opportunity to dust off the cobwebs before indoor try-outs and start of HTC Academy.
Join us for a great morning of training. Register here!
2019-20 Winter Indoor Field Hockey Programs
We will have 4 options for all athletes interested in playing Indoor Hardcourt hockey this winter. ALL players interested in the indoor season will be required to register and attend tryouts.
- HTC Indoor Travel Teams: We will have one team for U14 athletes, and two teams for U16 & 2 teams for U19 athletes vying to compete and train for the National Indoor Tournaments or any other regional tournament/league. Athletes that Try-out at the Tolland/Choate will be required to practice twice per week. This will be defined as one Indoor Skills Training session during the week at Tolland, CT (Wednesday nights for U14 & U16) or (Thursday nights U16 & 2 U19 teams) and one team practice on the Sundays. There will be additional $200 fee for U16 & U19 teams with qualifying for the NITs not included in season fee. Please note the rosters are limited for these national and regional tournaments; Indoor Travel Team Tolland/Choate Tryouts will be held in November after the high school season has been completed. Tentative dates are set for December 4th, 5th & 8th. You must attend at least 2 dates for selection to a team.
- HTC Indoor Travel Team Hotchkiss (U19 HTC Bearcats): Athletes that Try-out at the Hotchkiss location will train on Sunday evenings only. The team (HTC Bearcats) that is selected to train at the Hotchkiss school will be a U19 Squad. The team will be required to attend tournaments throughout the indoor season that will mostly be on Saturdays (Private school athletes we are working on creating a schedule the does not interfere with Saturday classes). There will be additional and separate fees associated with qualifying for the NITs & Shooting Star Indoor Tournament that are not included in season fee. Please note the rosters are limited for these national and regional tournaments.
- *NEW for 2020* HTC U12 Indoor Training Team: This program will give our youngest players an opportunity to get to know one another, play with kids in the same age group, and have practices tailored to their individual needs. This will be an 8 week program that begins Jan 8th. There will be 2 intro clinics/evaluations that all interested participants should attend to participate. (See U12 Training team page for more details).
- HTC Winter Academy: These sessions are designed for players of all ages who may not be able to commit to a full HTC Indoor Travel Team schedule but still want the indoor experience to sharpen their skills. This will be a combination program that will include hard-court and turf practices. See HTC Winter Academy page for more details.
ALL athletes interested in the Indoor Season must attend try-out/evaluation!
Tryouts Dates U14, U16, U19, & U12 Training Team (Tolland/Choate):
U14, U16 & U19 players must attend at least 2 indoor evaluation dates
- Wednesday, December 4th: U14, U16, U19 6-8pm
- Thursday, December 5th : U14, U16, U19 5-7pm
- Sunday, December 8th: U12 8-9a, U14 830-10am, U16 & U19 10a-12p
- Sunday, January 5th U12 Only 9-10a
Tryouts/evaluation for U19 HTC Bearcats (Hotchkiss): Must attend at least one
- Sunday, December 1st, 4-6pm
- Sunday, December 8th, 4-6pm
Starhill Family Athletic Center, 100 Gerber Rd, Tolland, CT
Choate Rosemary Hall School, 333 Christian St, Wallingford, CT 06492
Hotchkiss School, MARS Athletic Center, 22 Lime Rock Road, Lakeville, CT 06039
Tentative Fees & Tournaments
Indoor Travel Team – Includes 2 Practices/week & mandatory tournaments (HTC Dec 21st, NIQs, HTC Jan 25th, Spook Nook Showcase Feb 1st, and other various scrimmages and tournament tbd) – approx team fee $1550 (Check out Indoor Travel Team page for more details)
Payment plans will be available for all participants.
15% off discount if athlete signs for any other Winter club membership at another practice site. Contact Darren for coupon code.
10% off for Sibling Discount
Indoor Final Squads’ Registration links will be sent out to all participants after tryouts have been completed.
Check back regularly for the 2019-20 Indoor Hockey Season updates!
Join us for an intense and fun winter of training and playing against top competition!
Contact Darren if you have any more specific questions. firstname.lastname@example.org