2021-2022 HTC Indoor Hockey Season
What is Indoor Hockey?
Indoor field hockey is different from regular field hockey played on the turf or grass outside. Each team is comprised of 5 field-players and 1 goalie. Rules are modified for indoor play; there is no hitting of the ball or lifting, except for when shooting on goal. It is played on a hard surface like sports-court and the field size is little larger than a basketball court, surrounded by 3-5 inch boards that athletes can use as a part of the field of play. This becomes a very fast game that forces athletes to have quick stick skills, good fundamentals, and learn tactics in a very small space. Indoor hockey is a great way for players to enhance their skills and take their overall game to the next level.
At HTC Field Hockey, we are committed to providing quality indoor hockey playing opportunities for athletes of all ages, backgrounds, and genders. We are happy to announce our indoor hockey programs for players to learn, enjoy, and compete this season. We will offer Prep Clinics, our Travel Team Program, our Hard Court Club Teams, our U12 Indoor Program, and our Academy Program.
Prep Clinics – Brush off that indoor stick and work on your indoor skills. Players can sign up for each clinic that fits their schedule.
*Reminder Connecticut High School players, Grades 9-12, can only attend these clinics once their fall HS season has been completed.
Travel Team Program – We will be selecting the following Travel Teams this indoor season;
U14 Teams – 1
U16 Teams – 1
U19 Teams – 2
U14 Teams – 1
U16 Teams – 1
U19 Teams – 1
Our Travel team schedule will include 2 practices per week, Wednesday or Thursday nights, and then a practice on Sundays. We will be preparing our teams to compete in the NIQ (National Indoor Qualifiers) and the NIT (National Indoor Tournament) Tournaments. Teams will also be competing in local tournaments to prepare and compete.
Hard Court Club Team Program – Our HC Club Team Program schedule will include 1 practice per week, on Wednesday nights, 5p-7p. We will be working on developing indoor hockey skills for these teams through practice and local tournament opportunities.
U12 Indoor Program – This program will allow our U12 players to practice and compete together. Beginners and Experienced players are welcome, no prior experience in needed. Practices will be Wednesday nights, 5p-7p.
Academy Program – This program combines the Indoor hard court game skills and our traditional turf outdoor game skills into one program. Players will have the opportunity to practice both games during the winter season. Our Academy teams will practice and compete in tournaments as a TEAM. All levels of playing experience are welcome to attend the Academy Program. Players will train at our Tolland location, Tuesdays Turf practice and Wednesday hard court practice.
This is the best of both worlds this winter!
All participants must have:
- Indoor field hockey stick
- Indoor field hockey gloves (preferably both hands)
- All indoor team travel members MUST have their own Penalty Corner masks.
- Flat-soled Sneakers/Court shoes
Here are a couple of links to find indoor hockey equipment;
Please contact Darren if you need any help finding the appropriate equipment.
2021-2022 Winter Indoor Field Hockey Programs
We will have 4 options for all athletes interested in playing Indoor Hard Court hockey this winter. ALL players interested in being selected for one of the Travel Teams or Hard Court Club Teams are required to register and attend tryouts. Players that are not selected to one of the Travel Teams or HC Club Teams will be invited to register for our Academy program.
1. HTC Indoor Travel Teams: Try Out REQUIRED – We will be selecting the following Travel Teams to represent HTC at the NIT Tournaments;
- U14 Teams
- U16 Teams
- U19 Teams
These teams will practice twice per week, either on Wednesday or Thursday evenings, and on Sunday mornings.
2. HTC Hard Court Club Team – Try Out REQUIRED – We will be selecting HTC Hard Court Club Teams this winter. These teams will practice once per week, Wednesday evenings, 5p-7p. These teams will participate in local playing opportunities as well.
3. HTC U12 Indoor Training Team: This program will give our youngest players an opportunity to get to know one another, play with kids in the same age group, and have practices tailored to their individual needs. Our U12 Team will compete in some local tournaments. Practices will be on Wednesday nights, 5p-7p.
4. HTC Winter Academy: These sessions are designed for players of all ages who may not be able to commit to a full HTC Indoor Travel Team schedule but still want the indoor experience to sharpen their skills. This will be a combination program that will include hard-court and turf practices. Players will train at the Tolland site. Our Academy Team will practice and compete at tournaments as a TEAM.
HTC INDOOR TRYOUTS
ALL U14, U16, and U19 athletes interested in our Indoor Season Travel and Hard Court Club Teams must register for and attend the following evaluation sessions;
- Wednesday December 1, 2021
- Thursday December 2, 2021
Each player will be assigned to a 2 hour try out time for each day!
Star Hill Family Athletic Center, 100 Gerber Rd, Tolland, CT
Indoor Final Squad Registration links will be sent out to all participants after tryouts have been completed.
Join us for an intense and fun winter of training and playing against top competition!
Contact Darren if you have any more specific questions. firstname.lastname@example.org